Friday 10 February 2012

A Sherpa in Cyberspace

Since LIBE 461, the idea of being a leader in the area of technology as a TL has been a worry for me. I took LIBE 471 to help me gain more confidence, but this course has really been challenging my role of what it means to be a leader. I really appreciated reading a blog post by Walter McKenzie called “Finite Pie” which explores the definition of success in the world of the web where resources are almost unlimited. McKenzie writes: “In the Information Age, people expect to be engaged, interacting, building common understandings that make a difference in their lives. We need to let go of our finite pie thinking and begin to serve others as connectors and facilitators of the endless possibilities for success.” I feel this article speaks directly to the role of the TL in the 21st century, particularly in the area of technology. I do not need to know everything (and really couldn't know everything even if I tried!); it's about building community, collaborating, and connecting; acting as a Sherpa in cyberspace. I have had a taste of this type of success lately and it has left me on a high!

I am not able to try a lot of the technologies I am exploring in this course with my own students. Firstly, I am in a .3 contract which does not give me a lot of time with students. Secondly, not being a homeroom teacher means that I have not been assigned any computer lab time and must try to borrow time from other teachers if I wish to use the lab with my art students. So I have been sharing my ideas with fellow teachers and have had the chance to connect two colleagues with new Web 2.o tools.

After a discussion about what I was studying for LIBE 477, the teacher with whom I share a room became curious about Glogster, a tool that allows users to create interactive online multi-media posters one can embed with hyperlinks, videos, music and more. The school premium account is almost free at $2 per year! My colleague explored this tool and used it with his Science students. You can view the student's Glogs on his class portal. I appreciate my colleagues willingness to explore and try new technologies with his students. I hope to try this tool myself.

My husband, also an art teacher, was inspired by my studies on blogging in the classroom and has designed his own blog as a class portal and student gallery. He is now in the process of having his Photography students set up their own blogs as e-portfolios. It felt so great to be able to help my tech savvy hubby with something like this. The only blow to me ego was how much more amazing his blog looks compared to mine!

Although, I am not exploring these technologies with students first hand, I feel I am acting as a TL would in connecting people to resources that enhance teaching and learning. It's a great feeling and also a relief to know that I don't have to master these tools to encourage others to use them- I simply have to expose them to something new. This type of leadership is definitely doable! As McKenzie writes:“To infini-pie and beyond!”

Question: What are your thoughts on the role of the TL in the area of technology?



1 comment:

  1. What a great way to get around your class and computer-time constraints Esther. Not only getting students familiar with new web 2.0 tools, but also colleague collaboration, and perhaps more importantly teacher librarian - classroom teacher collab!

    ReplyDelete